I cut a "Peace Symbol" from a quarter. The peace symbol was designed and completed February 21, 1958 by Gerald Holtom, a commercial designer and artist in Britain. He had been commissioned by the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament to design a symbol for use at an Easter march to Canterbury Cathedral in protest against the Atomic Weapons Research Establishment at Aldermaston in England. The symbol itself is a combination of the semaphore signals for the letters "N" and "D", standing for Nuclear Disarmament. In semaphore the letter "N" is formed by a person holding two flags in an upside-down "V", and the letter "D" is formed by holding one flag pointed straight up and the other pointed straight down. These two signals imposed over each other form the shape of the peace symbol. In the original design the lines widened at the edge of the circle. The peace symbol flag first became known in the United States in late 1958 when Albert Bigelow, a pacifist protester, sailed his small boat outfitted with the CND banner into the vicinity of a nuclear test. The peace symbol button was imported into the United States in 1960 by Philip Altbach, a freshman at the University of Chicago, who traveled to England to meet with British peace groups as a delegate from the Student Peace Union (SPU). Altbach purchased a bag of the “chickentrack” buttons while he was in England, and brought them back to Chicago, where he convinced SPU to reprint the button and adopt it as its symbol. Over the next four years, SPU reproduced and sold thousands of the buttons on college campuses.
- Cut Out only includes a black velveteen bag for safekeeping...most common for Golf Markers.
- Soldered Pendant is finished with a Solid Sterling Silver Bail (adds $3.00)
- Bezel Setting is a Solid Frame Holder around the Cut Only and are very sturdy for Keychains or Heavy Duty Pendants (adds $5.00)
- Add a standard Split Ring for 25 cents to complete the Bezel as a Keyring